Saturday, March 29, 2008

Fusion Family

Fusion Family have provided me with an actual video of their single,{ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26VdND6ZKe0 } 'Smokers & Jokers' which, in itself makes for an excellent diversion for me, and any other interested parties as you can get a much better feel for a band in a video format. I would advise all upcoming bands to have a stab at it, even if it is just a 'Handycam', basic PC editing software and some of your mates in messing about in a local village hall, as seems to be the case in this video. Even basics such as these can raise your profile well above a basic demo (trust me I have personally witnessed literally hundreds of unlistened to CD's being tipped in a record company bin).


So, to the single 'Smokers & Jokers. A slightly stoned Arctic Monkeys meet The Ordinary Boys for a very non threatening, light and laddish, likeable cod-ska romp, extolling the virtues of, and supporting the legalisation of Cannabis. Now, I'm not here to theorise or point my moral compass at anyone, so I shall sit firmly on the fence on the subject matter! However what I *am* here to do is give my honest view on a bands product and prospects. I happen to know that Fusion Family are pretty decent guys and they have made a good tune, what is apparent however, is that they seem to have a little obsession going with their pet subject ('Smokers & Jokers' not being their only Ganja friendly homage). If your band are drawn together by a mutual interest, thats cool but unfortunately their tastes are not only liable to have their stated desire for record company interest as likely as interest in Jo Brand at a pole dancing audition, but it rather clearly makes their playing sound slightly 'baked' as well. Obviously, committed stoners will love the message but you have to remember, (and I have to point out) that if you want to get signed, as the band say they do, getting on your soapbox on a subject such as sponsoring grass, you will, whether you agree or not, be giving yourself an additional fence to negotiate in the great 'unsigned' steeplechase.


If and when the smoke clears a bit, a little more energy and sharpness would drive this band a lot further forward.
Review by Drumhead

RANK: *** 3 out of 6

No comments: