Saturday, March 29, 2008

Deceptikon

I can't remember the last time I compared a vocalist to Faith No More's, Mike Patton but Deceptikon's Gareth, the singer/guitarist with Leicester metal outfit Deceptikon is exactly that on their EP 'Dark Hour' which is a major plus in my book. The EP delivers some monster, crushing metal riffs on tracks like 'Dark Hour' and 'Cirkus' along with twin guitars and gut shaking bass. All good metal fare with t he spin of Gareth and his unique edged vocals over the top. As a metal fan I have to give the thumbs up to Deceptikon, especially as they're not getting dragged into the Trivium/Avenged Sevenfold style stereotypical formats and I desperately want to big them up some more, but in some parts they do tend to get a bit lost in their own songs. Between slabs of quality rock there is the odd fight between the great and the ragged. The double bass drum blasts losing time for example in 'Dark Hour' or how the bass guitar seems to be playing another song completely to the rest of the band during the lead solo (and the rather ill-advised, meandering middle 8) in 'Cold'.


However, overall Deceptikon deliver some massive, big-assed crunching riffs and some great ideas despite occassionally getting a bit adventurous and going ragged around the edges, but hopefully this should tighten up with some regular gigging maybe, I hope so. Bravely, Deceptikon describe themselves in their bio as "...one of Leicesters leading metal acts". I'm not going to argue with them, I don't know any of Leicester's metal acts, leading or otherwise, but with the tools that they have already and a set of pipes like Gareths, they're in with a reasonable shout.
Review by Drumhead

RANK: **** 4 out of 6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Massagem, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://massagem-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.